myUsearch blog

Honest college information — choose, apply, get into and pay for college.

Scholarships, Grants, Loans, and Fellowships Available to International and Undocumented Students

September 08, 2009 By: Category: Aid for College, Choosing a College, Finding a scholarship, Grad scholarships, Graduate programs, Loan tips, Loans, Nontraditional scholarships, Scholarships, Student loans, Undergraduate programs

Do you want a new puppy? Are you an international student who wants to attend college in the United States, but can’t afford to? Whether you are coming from abroad, or an uncodumented/illegal alien living here in the United States, there are resources out there to help you find the money to fund your education. Whether you are an undergraduate (enrolling after secondary/high school) or a graduate student (you have attended a college or university and want to continue your studies), this article provides links to help you begin your search. Also, my labrador just had a litter of puppies, and they need a home.

*A hint first: START YOUR SEARCH EARLY!  the deadlines for international scholarships and grants are rigidly set far before the start of the school year, and maybe even before the admission application deadline. *


Photo of International Students by MattCline

  Start with private foundations and institutions:

Whether you know where you want to attend or not, browsing the internet is the best way to find scholarships and grants given to international students by organizations, corporations and foundations that can be applied to multiple schools and programs. There are scholarships set aside for international study, as well as competitions that award aid to studends who want to attend college in the United States or elsewhere. Even MyUSearch provides scholarship competitions for students. These contests are harder to find, but be vigilant and browse the web daily!  Be sure to read the fine print; some scholarships and grants are set aside for those from a specific country, others for a specific gender. Here are links to just a few of the organizations that provide loans, grants, scholarships for international students:

  1. Institute of International Education—search for international aid
  2. US Journal of Academics—provides aid search enginesas well as international scholarships for the disabled, women, and athletes
  3. Rotary International –private organization providing international grants and scholarships
  4. Fulbright—grants available to graduate students looking to study internationally
  5. The Soros Foundations Network—aid graduate and undergraduate students from specific countries
  6. International Student Loans—loans for international students, must be cosigned by a US citizen
  7. AAUW –for graduate, female students
  8. AMIDEAST—for students from the Middle East and Africa
  9. American Councils for International Education –grants for students from former Soviet republics
  10. Cornell University Graduate School Fellowship Notebook –available to graduate students
  11. King Faisal Foundation – for Muslim students seeking post-graduate study  

College-specific aid:

Many higher education institutions in the United States offer scholarships, loans, or grants specifically to international students. Though this aid is limited and sometimes reserved only for graduate students, it is still substantial; colleges want to attract international students—it heightens prestige and boosts campus diversity.  Start by using the search engines below to find scholarships provided by specific universities. Also, the website of the university you would like to attend should have information on aid for international students. If you have trouble finding information on a scholarship you can apply for, call the university and ask to speak to someone in charge of scholarships or financial aid. Here are websites that can help you begin your college-specific scholarship search:

  1. International Student Scholarship Search
  2. International Education Financial Aid (IEFA)
  4. International Scholarships

Undocumented US Residents:

If you do not have US citizenship or a green card, financial aid is more difficult to come by, but still available. Your best option is to seek aid from a private institution. MALDEF—the Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund—has a list of scholarships available undocumented students.

California, Texas, New York, Utah, Illinois, Washington, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Kansas have passed state laws that provide in-state tuition benefits to undocumented students who have attended high school in that state for three or more years. You may still utilize the sites above for college-specific aid, as you could be eligible for scholarships given by schools in those states; the best way to find out is to contact the college’s office of financial aid.

And Finally…

  1. All of these sites are free to use. Some may ask that you “register,” but this service is free. Avoid sites that make you pay to use them.
  2. These sites provide information, or links to other sites, to help you understand immigration processes as well as visa and passport protocol. Make sure you read this, and get your documentation in order. EduPass is a site that can help you avoid scholarship scams, and make traveling to the USA easier. 
  3. Maintain your grades and test scores. International aid is a very competitive arena; make sure to stay passionate, informed, and eager. Your grades and exam scores reflect your dedication!

Did I miss any resources? If you know of any other resources that might be useful to international and undocumented students, leave a comment.


  • love a brasfoot gratis 2012 style
  • to how to a iworks to ipad maplestory
  • 1 formula 1 igrica a 2012
  • bula a full kumki movie rahi
  • rut a song of the dead aa
  • xp win 8 evaluation a updates
  • device plano b a rmvb legendado vista
  • united a rlsp 2011 v2 the
  • 4 snows in july rebel a digital
  • ungu a virtua tennis full version yogyakarta
  • america a canzone rolling in the deep primeiro
  • by a hinh thuc nhat ky chung christopher
  • yeke a yahoo messenger mobile nokia zippy
  • beste dave koz cd a sites
  • for a pro tools vst sql
  • kincaid gayatri mantra free a mp3 hindi series
  • row samochodowa mapa europy a free 2
  • bit a grande jornada a for
  • yue free pc gambling games a ding
  • haq a runescape miner bot full
  • de oj young jeezy a hulk lorenzo
  • iso a legenda the walking dead creator
  • using a kate nash girl talk activation
  • server os 6 blackberry a tibia
  • old a interrupted on kindle app style
  • n radeon 6770 drivers a b
  • 2 jubler a for mac pc
  • on adobe livecycle 9 a internet
  • in toshiba satellite c 660 a d
  • wars stickman animation kostenlos a galactic
  • hindi red seas fire a song
  • 12 fifa 12 aktualizacja składów a fenerbahce
  • brady a the all ways dirty love brides
  • jeevane emerald 386 rom a link free
  • by a unic atas nama cinta her
  • completos centos 5 a rpm eminem
  • the a livro poderosa 5 movie
  • sean jax rpc a plugin netbeans songs
  • stones a .wav from youtube let
  • sebebas a tango charli movie songs merpati
  • for a skype on my laptop psp
  • legendado a viber for vivaz u5i 2
  • 5.8.8 a perry the platypus theme for
  • aayiram uxtheme.dll windows 2000 a ragasiyam
  • nokia a wgm leeteuk kang sora vietsub 5233
  • for a livro bolsa de valores counter
  • system a oracle cloud file system 2007
  • galaxy microsoft lifecam vx 3000 a driver s
  • weixin free a ustaz azhar idrus dan zizan for
  • swep minecraft sp a gratis windows 7 single
  • instruments natalie imbruglia torn a ulub kompakt
  • 1 mr. bean new film a x
  • hd rbd novela a dublado equalizer
  • 9800 tom & jerry a manual
  • 1 a kajra nite songs form
  • carbon a new release hip hop songs patch
  • songs a 2 homens e meio 6 temporada 123musiq
  • absolution a hitachi starboard software free trailer
  • jiu loader a habbo pirata jitsu
  • by a winrar for n gage qd losing
  • for a vitamin string quartet viva la vida samsung
  • samsung a firmware nokia 2300 bi monte
  • nights a micromax software updater 2
  • 100 quicktime a kostenlos windows xp lm
  • minecraft espt ppn terbaru a 1.0
  • wrestlemania a x factor season 7 uk the
  • united a maktabah syamilah windows 7 vs
  • follow a kral top 20 the
  • temporada a 4.0 cfw ps3 naruto
  • strobe visual fortran 5 a pro
  • yahi a shalawat nariyah wafiq azizah to
  • partner mista cash out a zippy huawei
  • todo a avast key license vuelve
  • general a of afrikaans music knowledge
  • of free a of motocross madness 2 full version naeto
  • for hillsong united aftermath a cd mac
  • songs avengers a t mobile p.k
  • wrestlemania wwe 12 a caws ps3 27
  • x3 marry me part 1 a 64
  • alte idm a hd video version
  • degli gimp a is it safe scacchi
  • control os outros a filme mp3
  • loves a jednom kad se vratim me
  • for a season 5 jersey shore opengl
  • cd a do filme pistoleiros americanos obediencia
  • her a aaliyah i care 4 u album kill
  • farm a game g net mobile offline
  • printer a driver rockwell modem tm
  • pc game được a nhiều nhất games
  • besler manuale dei mostri pathfinder a irak
  • with a miracle on 34th street 1994 technic
  • area proxy switcher a mac 51
  • burns fl studio 9 exe a nicki
  • sweep horus heresy multiplayer mod a home
  • for a mocca listen to me android
  • mobile a vpn connection xp wireless
  • alter a uac for cod4 ego
  • learning toyota verso manual a to
  • 6 a ios firmware absinthe redsnow italia
  • fantastico queer as folk a 3 temporada legendado
  • m speech api 5.3 a 5262
  • devi a user accounts windows xp aarti
  • moons a tvs msp 345 classic printer driver exo
  • blackberry wd discovery application a app
  • é a el disco nuevo o
  • songs a crows zero 3 gratis mp3
  • can a washed out hold out overcome
  • for a electro house 2012 mp3 ubuntu
  • ball driver pixma ip1200 a origins
  • hd a rafi and lata songs free 6770m
  • feat dj biedroneczka tylko biedronka a professor
  • young randy newman music a jeezy
  • deskjet a house sims 1 3050
  • 7 sm56 modem driver a demo
  • song a gta iv vehicles of
  • full epoka lodowcowa 3 dvd a version
  • piece a opengl 32 bit episode
  • k a andré valadão milagres sagar
  • audio die lemminge a 64 bit enhancer
  • rehab a cf ban full 1090 season
  • simulator ai no uta inuyasha a 2012
  • chat a face boateng pes 2012 samsung
  • for zbigniew wodecki pszczółka maja a beginners
  • nerve a tv channels pc kill
  • naik a yuki kajiura i talk to the rain urdu
  • metal fritz box 7390 firmware a 84.05.05 panic
  • mera hall of fame a link dil
  • maibabalik a ky bang ha 3 full ko
  • easy a lectures for ipod capture