If you are worried about the Freshman 15 or the scary dorm food that might be served in the cafeteria, you might want to consider buying some healthy snacks for your dorm room. The following list of instant, easy snacks are perfect for between classes, late night snacks or just to hold you over until the cafeteria opens. Trust me, having nutritious food in your room will help you to control your cravings and avoid snitching junk food.
- Larabars: My all time favorite snack – Larabars are a gluten free combination of fruits nuts and spices with no added sugars or additives. And, they are delicious!
- Kashi Bars: The Honey Almond Flax Kashi Bars are some of the only bars with more protein than sugar. They are a perfect snack for between classes.
- Cashew Butter: Since nuts are an excellent source of protein and good fat, nut butter is a great thing to have in your dorm room. I prefer cashew butter or almond butter over peanut butter because they have a better fatty acid profile, but regardless of what nut you choose, you should choose a butter without added sugars or chemicals.
- Chips and Salsa: If you are a sucker for chips, try keeping some chips and salsa in your room. This is a far better alternative to the Fritos or Doritos you might be tempted to eat if you don’t have a substitute. I recommend the Guiltless Gourmet brand because they are baked, not fried.
- Oatmeal: Instant oatmeal is a great thing to have in your room for a quick breakfast or an afternoon snack. I prefer the unsweetened kind because it is far lower in sugar. If you really need to sweeten it, try cinnamon or fresh berries.
- Vegan Instant Soups: Although Ramen Noodles are a college staple, they have very little nutritional value and the sauce is filled with chemicals. I highly recommend Right Foods Instant Soups. They have several varieties available and are a much better alternative to Ramen Noodles.
- Fig Newmans: An alternative to Twinkies or Donuts, Fig Newmans are an all natural version of the Fig Newton. They are very tasty and aren’t full of fat, sugar and chemicals like the Twinkies and Ho Hos from the vending machine.
- Dried Organic Fruit: Dried fruit is a great way to fight the munchies. You can find several varieties of Sensible Foods Dried Fruit.
- Healthier Chocolate Chip Cookies: I am a severe choc-o-holic and the only way I can control my binges is to have a little bit of chocolate each day. If you have a healthier option available, you’ll be less likely to binge on the fattening cookies and deserts in the cafeteria. These are my all time favorite healthy cookies. They are low in fat and sugar and they are so good that even my husband likes them. If these don’t float your boat, there are several other healthy cookies available.
If you liked this article, you might also like:
- Are Cocaine and Cigarettes the Only Way to Fight the Freshman 15?
- Packing for College: 25 Must-Haves
- Things You’ll Forget to Buy for Your Dorm Room
Or, if you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com.